BEYOND THE MODEL MINORITY MYTH
Time & Location
About the Event
For too long, Asian Americans have been painted as the “model minority,” which continues to haunt our communities and perpetuate a system of inequality. As we reckon with the long history of systemic racism in the United States and reflect on our relationship to the Black Lives Matter movement, the Austin Asian Communities Civic Coalition is organizing a community conversation about how we can address anti-Black racism and colorism within our own communities, and how we can build coalition to promote anti-racism. We will unpack and dispel the “model minority” stereotype and explore an under-reported history of Asian American activism. Bringing together panelists from the AAPI community, Black/African-American community, Latinx/Hispanic community, and the LGBTQ+ community, we will discuss concrete steps we can take to become more civically engaged and join the movement for civil rights and social and racial justice.
- Quynhanh Tran - District Director & Scheduler for Texas State Representative Celia Israel (D-Austin). Currently, she also serves on the leadership teams of the League of Women Voters Austin Area, Austin Asian Communities Civic Coalition (AACCC), and Asian Democrats of Central Texas (ADCT).
- Shenghao Wang - proud local activist who volunteers with the Asian-Pacific American Public Affairs Association (APAPA), the Austin Asian Communities Civic Coalition (AACCC), and the Asian Democrats of Central Texas (ADCT). He recently graduated from Harvard Law School (JD ‘20) where he served as Political Chair of the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association (APALSA), Communications Director of the Harvard Law School Democrats, and a student attorney in the Veterans Legal Clinic.
- Nelson Linder - President Austin NAACP
- Jen Ramos - Texas National Committeewoman for the Young Democrats of America, SDEC Committeewoman for Senate District 21 & President of the Austin Young Democrats
- Mike Siegel - Candidate for TX-10
- Briona Jenkins - Activist & Host of "The Tea with Bri"